Are you looking to mow your steep hills, slopes, and banks?
Taming steep hills, slopes, and banks in your yard can be a daunting task. However, with the right lawn mower by your side, you can transform these challenging terrains into beautifully maintained areas.
Choosing the right lawn mower for steep hills, slopes, and banks not only depends on the traits of your lawn, but also the features provided by a specific mower. You need to consider things like size, type, power, and weight, among others. Not all lawn mowers are equally suited to operate on steep surfaces. That’s why we did the research for you and have prepared a list of the best lawn mowers for steep hills, slopes, and banks.
In this guide, we present the five best lawn mowers specifically designed to conquer steep hills, slopes, and banks. These exceptional mowers offer innovative features and unmatched maneuverability.
This article will help you choose the best one according to your needs. Let’s get going!
Best lawn mowers for steep hills and steep slopes
When you’re running on a low budget, but still want an excellent performer in a hilly region, this made in USA lawn mower can be your right choice. While the cord might limit your overall distance from the outlet to the maximum range you can cut, it also helps deliver immediate power without worrying about recharging batteries or dealing with messy, smoky, and stubborn gasoline engines.
|Mower type||Electric mower|
|Adjustable cutting height||Yes (from 1’’ to 2.5’’)|
Having a powerful 11-amp motor, the machine can run smoothly, no matter if the path is on a dependable lawn or steep banks.
The machine provides a clean, reliable cut every time with its 14-inch steel blade. Its 5-position easy-adjust cutting height options let you make customized cutting as you need.
This model includes a 2-in-1 rear discharge and mulching system. A hardtop 16-gal grass bag associated with the model has a grass level indicator to let you know when the bag is full.
Ease of operation
The model is packed with “full of ease of operation.” It’s super easy to start the machine, just with a push of a button. There’s an adjustable handle length for a customized fit for all users. In addition, it’s so light that even a petite woman can handle it comfortably.
- Very light that anyone can handle
- Powerful 11-amp motor offers smooth grass-cutting
- Adjustable handle height
- Compact and slim frame makes it simple to maneuver and store
- Easily overheats
Greenworks is a famous brand in the lawn mower industry, so it is not surprising that one of their models appears on our list. In this case, the Greenworks 25022 lawn mower is heads and shoulders above the rest because it is easy to push and highly functional.
|Mower type||Electric mower|
|Adjustable cutting height||Yes, (from 1.5’’ to 3.75’’)|
This model has sturdy front and back wheels to help improve traction, while reducing the possibility of sliding backward. The front wheels are 7 inches while the larger back wheels are 10 inches. Apart from offering improved traction, the wheel design makes it much easier to slice through grasses effortlessly.
The model has an extremely durable cutting deck in fabricated steel that provides shelter to the cutting blades.
This reliable 3-in-1 feature of the lawn mower gives users the option of bagging grass clippings, side discharging, or just mulching them back into the soil.
- Robust 12-amp motor power
- Wide cutting deck
- 3-in-1 feature
- Extremely quiet during mowing runtimes
- Extension cords often gest on the way
- Mowing areas are limited to the cord length
- Not efficient on wet or thick grass
The BLACK+DECKER BEMW482ES comes with power and several features that make it great for steep hills. As an environmentally-friendly beast, this mower boasts a pivot control handle that will make you feel like a fighter pilot. More practically, its unique handle makes maneuvering a breeze and offers a level of handling comfort that other mowers can’t.
|Mower type||Corded lawn mower|
|Adjustable cutting height||Yes (from 1’’ to 3’’)|
Powerful electric motor
Its powerful 12-amp electric motor can perform well on steep hills. It can run smoothly even over uneven terrains with sticks, stumps, and leaves.
Cut quality & options
The machine comes with a moderately sized 17-inch cutting deck, which can be actually adjusted in 6 incremental steps from 1 to 3 inches. Its cutting deck houses impressive wing blades, which slice through thick grasses with ease.
- Lightweight and maneuverable
- Great on tall, thick grass
- Can cut at a 30% higher rate
- Simple push-button starting
- No mulching option
- The mowing part depends on the length of the extension cord
EGO Power+ LM2000 is well-known for its impeccable efficiency and excellent cutting quality. Thanks to its 56V batteries and 20-inch cutting deck, it can cover large areas quite quickly, without the noise and fumes like gas-powered lawn mowers and without pulling around cords as required by corded lawn mowers.
|Mower type||Cordless lawn mower|
|Adjustable cutting height||Yes (from 1.5’’ to 4’’)|
56V Lithium-ion Batteries
The tremendous and signature of this mower is a 56V Lithium-ion battery that has been designed for super-fast charging. It typically takes 2 hours or more to charge the Lithium-ion batteries, but the battery of this machine takes only 30 minutes to be charged.
There’s a tri-cutting action feature on this model, which lets you bag, mulch, and discharge the grass clippings.
- Just 30 minutes of charging time and long battery life
- Easy and light to maneuver around the lawn
- Bright LED lights for evening work
- 30% less noise
- Compact and foldable design for easy storing
- 3-in-1 capability
- Doesn’t mulch well without stalling
When it comes to mowing on steep hills, Earthwise 60418 becomes an outstanding candidate. Its wireless operation offers several advantages, including the absence of wire to the leg, freedom of movement, the absence of smelly and polluting gas, and especially, particularly quiet operation, which is suitable for use in the city.
|Mower type||Cordless mower|
|Adjustable cutting height||Yes (from 1.75’’ to 4’’)|
40V lithium-ion power
The machine has 2x Li-ion batteries that deliver premium performance, along with an impressive 18-inch deck that makes cutting grass on hills easy. The batteries typically get you around 45 minutes of cutting time.
Its compact size at 51×42 inches coupled with its ergonomic folding handle and large wheels makes it simple to maneuver around your lawn.
Ease of operation
Since it’s an electric cordless mower, there are no long wires to tangle or risk cutting with it in use. It’s tipped as the “clean air choice” due to the fact that it uses no oil or gas which makes maintenance and clean-up a thing of the past.
Its wheel size has been made to suit the hilly lawn, with 7-inch front and 9.5-inch rear wheels. The weight balance is evenly distributed, giving you an easier job when going uphill.
- Free of maintenance
- LED battery indicator light
- Quiet and generous battery power
- 3-in-1 capability
- Batteries must be lined up exactly right to connect
- Mulching performance could be better
How to choose the best lawn mower for steep hills, slopes, and banks
Types of lawn mowers
There are plenty of lawn mowers that can operate well on steep surfaces. Mowers come in different capabilities to handle various kinds of grounds. But in this article, we will focus on:
- Riding mowers. These are often expensive machines made for hilly lawns. They are more powerful and make grass cutting much easier. They are best for large lawns because they can work faster than walk-behind mowers. However, it is vital to note that though these riding mowers are for hilly areas, they have a higher risk of tipping over. This can be dangerous to users, so you must exercise extra caution when using them. Plus, only cut the grass on steep areas when it is dry, as most riding mowers don’t perform well on wet slippery grass.
- Electric mowers. An electric mower is ideal if you have a small yard with a few steep hills to mow. Electric-powered corded lawn mowers are machines that come with a plug. You put the plug in the socket and your mower is ready to work. It comes without the hassle of refueling and has perhaps the lowest maintenance cost. However, while mowing, you need to be very careful not to mow over the wire cord.
- Robotic mowers. These lawn mowers can mow both flat and hilly lawns. They can work on gradients of up to 25 degrees without any issue of rain or shine. This is something most riding mowers won’t do. You just need to set it up and it will take care of the lawn mowing for you.
The deck size determines the maneuverability of a mower on hills and slopes, so it is always an important factor to consider.
If you are dealing with a large open lawn, a deck size of above 30 inches is a great choice as it gives you more cutting width to finish mowing fast. But the large deck size might not be appropriate for narrow lawns. For narrow lawns, something shorter is more appropriate as it gives you better control.
It is necessary to gauge the size and shape of your hilly lawn and use this information to pick an appropriate deck size.
A lightweight lawn mower will be better for steep terrains. Heavy lawn mowers are harder to handle and take more effort to move up and down. But, as much as you might want a light and easy-to-use lawn mower, it is essential to make sure that you strike the right balance between weight and power.
Ease of use
The lawn mower you buy should be easy to use. You should look out for things like how easy the mower is to start. Plus, assembly should be easy if it requires any, and it should do various tasks like mulching, bagging, and side discharge to make it more convenient.
You do not want to buy a new lawn mower every other season, so you need to consider something that comes with some durability assurances.
A warranty is this assurance that you need and it also helps protect your investment for a specific period. While the longer the warranty, the better, the best mowers for steep hills, slopes, and banks often come with an average of 2-year warranty.
How we ranked the 5 best lawn mowers for steep terrains
Whatever lawn mower for steep hills, slopes, and banks, here are the criteria we find critical in ranking:
- User reviews and reputation. Thebest lawn mower for steep surfaces out there has proved satisfying a huge number of users for the longest amount of time. That led us to consider the most well-regarded mowers from well-known brands, which are covered by an average of 2-year warranty.
- Performance. We researched which ones could perform the best on steep hills, slopes, and banks from a lawn-care perspective. We have measured this performance over a long time of testing.
- User friendliness and features. How hard is it to start using the mower, or to raise and lower the mowing deck? Does it have mulching, bagging, or discharging features? Are there any other design details to make storage easier or reduce engine maintenance? We have found that it is critical to focus on user friendliness and features of lawn mowers.
1. What are precautions when mowing on steep hills, steep slopes, and banks?
Mowing a lawn full of steep slopes and ridges is a challenging task, and can even be dangerous. That’s why we strongly recommend following these steps to prioritize your safety before you mow:
- Remove any obstacles that may hinder or slow your progress, such as sticks and stones. Your children may have left any toys out there as well, so keep a lookout. Any such thing could destabilize your mower in an instant, putting your safety in danger.
- Always start from a flat surface and go slow. You may wish to finish faster by going fast, but it can become dangerous if you lose control of the mower at any given time. Take every step steadily and cautiously.
- Don’t mow the slopes vertically. The center of gravity becomes so high that you might fall anytime, so always mow sideways when on a steep slope.
2. Which parts of riding mowers should be regularly replaced?
With continuous use, several parts of riding mowers can deteriorate due to wear and tear, such as the discharge cover, grass catcher, and the trail. So, for better functioning, you should regularly check and replace these parts once you see indications of being damaged.
Ensure that you replace them with original parts recommended by manufacturers. Using mediocre replacements might compromise on the performance and even safety of the mower.
3. Are the good robotic mowers always safe?
One of the most common questions about these mowers is whether or not they are safe for children and pets. While some brands do have safety features, such as built-in child sensors, it is always best to supervise your kids and any pets while using one of these machines so they stay out of the mower’s way.
In your quest to find the best lawn mower for steep hills, slopes, and banks, we have outlined specific factors for you to consider before buying. Along with that, we shared several choices that we consider as the best ones for mowing on steep terrains based on their types and functions. We hope that this review has helped you a lot, and you can find the best one for yourself!
Don’t hesitate to contact us or leave a comment if you have any concerns about this topic. We’re always glad to hear from you! Thanks for reading!