Bermuda grass is quite challenging to get rid of because it expands very fast. The more it expands, the more difficult it is to maneuver. Meanwhile, finding the right lawn mower could be a tiresome task for many.
But no worries, we are here to help you out.
We have done hours & hours of in-depth research to find the best lawn mowers for bermuda grass. Let’s explore right now!
- 7 Best Lawn Mowers for Wet Grass (& Tips for Mowing Safely)
- 10 Best Lawn Mowers for Hills: Test & Review
How to choose the best lawn mower for bermuda grass lawns?
In this section, we’ll discuss some points to consider when selecting the best lawn mowers for bermuda grass.
Types of lawn mower
While choosing the best lawn mowers for bermuda grass, you’ll commonly find 2 types: reel mowers and rotary mowers.
- Reel mowers. This is the most preferred type of mower for bermuda lawn, and our review will primarily focus on this type. They come with a reel and bed-knife that pinches the grass and slices it with a scissor-like movement. They are used for low-cut lawns without leaving uneven edges or bald terrains behind. This type has at least 7 blades or more working in a go! (Recommendation: 7 Best reel mowers for your garden)
- Rotary mowers. Best rotary lawn mowers come with a very sharp blade; they can spin fast with a machete-like action. They come with a single and parallel horizontally rotating blade, which works at a very high speed to effectively swallow and cut bermuda grass.
Lawn size plays an essential role in choosing the best lawn mower for bermuda grass. If you own a lawn of 2000 square feet or more, then you’ll be exhausted with push mowers. For such a lawn size, you can go with rotary mowers.
- How to choose a good mower for a 1-acre lawn?
- How to choose a good mower for a 3-acre lawn?
- How to choose a good mower for a 5-acre lawn?
Most of the reel or rotary lawn mowers come with height adjustment options in different ranges. A lawn mower can adjust its height from as low as 0 to 6 inches in height. So, while choosing a lawn mower for bermuda grass, you should look for cutting-height adjustment according to your own preference.
The blade width defines how many passes you will need to mow your entire yard. The best blades for bermuda grass often have a width in the range of 14 to 20 inches.
If you’d like to make the fastest cut, we recommend you go with the widest blade. However, keep in mind that the wider cutting decks are much harder to push than the narrower cutting deck.
You don’t want your blades to break down within a few years or while cutting bermuda grass. Always choose a blade with max durability.
It’s suggested to choose quality heat-tempered cutting blades that are made from alloy steel or stainless steel. This would significantly improve the mower’s lives, while saving you a lot from maintenance costs and frequent servicing.
You don’t have to worry about the weight of rotary mowers, as they run with their own power source. You don’t need to control them manually.
However, with push reel mowers, weight is an essential factor to consider because you’ll be using your own strength to push the mower. That’s why you should consider getting a lightweight mower as this will affect the maneuverability a lot.
As you understand what to look for in a lawn mower for bermuda grass, let’s move to our list of the 7 best ones!
7 Best lawn mowers for Bermuda grass
1. Fiskars Stay Sharp Max Reel Mower – Best choice
Fiskars is highly praised worldwide when it comes to gardening and lawn care products. Due to its positive feedback and maximum power performance, Fiskars Stay Sharp Max Reel Mower 18-inch becomes one of the best lawn mowers for bermuda grass. It comes with an appealing, solid, reliable, and well-built body made of plastic.
The mower has been designed to have a 60% easier-to-push mechanism, making it much easier and faster to use. Unlike other reel mowers that cause problems when the grass is too long, this model is simple to set up and perfect for tall grass. While it doesn’t leave a dense layer of clippings on the grass, it does an excellent job of mulching the lawn.
In addition, the mower has a maximum of 5 blades remaining sharp and even coming with sharper tips (sold separately). That makes it easier to maintain and gives the bermuda grass the most appealing look.
Another feature that we love about this Fiskars reel mower is its low noise operation. Too much sound can be irritating while working with a mower for long hours. With this model, you don’t need to worry about too much noise.
- Sharp blades
- Easy to use
- Quiet and soundproof
- You can control the clipping’s direction using the reversible chute feature
- Plastic wheels, so they quickly wear and tear
- Quite heavy
|Mower type||Reel mower|
|Adjustable cutting height||Yes (from 1’’ to 4’’)|
2. Earthwise 1715-16EW 16-Inch 7-Blade Push Reel Lawn Mower
Anyone keen on giving the environment a hand is going to love Earthwise 1715-16EW mower, which doesn’t have an engine, and thus, doesn’t produce nasty emissions or make a loud noise on a weekend afternoon. This push reel mower from Earthwise is effectively designed for Bermuda grass due to its clean and precise cut quality.
The adjustable cutting height option allows for making various types of cuts. It’s possible to adjust the cutting height from 0.5 to 2.5 inches. The mower is eco-friendly as it doesn’t use any fuels like oils or gasoline.
It is constructed of high-quality metal and weighs just 26 pounds. It provides maximum maneuverability and comfort, which allows you to cut grass with less effort. Furthermore, it has 7 blades made of alloy steel that can remain sharp for years.
- Easy to use
- 7 alloy blades for more precise cuts
- Eco-friendly operation
- Lightweight & comfortable to push
- May be challenging to use on expansive lawns
- You might need to take several passes to achieve an even cut
|Mower type||Reel lawn mower|
|Adjustable cutting height||Yes (from 0.5’’ to 2.5’’)|
3. American Lawn Mower Company Push Reel Lawnmower
If you are looking for a high-quality model at a price that is not bloated beyond belief, you’re going to want to explore American Lawn Mower Company 1204-14 14-inch 4-blade. As the name suggests, this is a mower that is made in the US, which is definitely something nice to see. It is a mechanical reel lawn mower that can take care of bermuda grass or any other grass up to 4 inches tall.
One of the most outstanding features of this reel lawn mower is its sturdy construction. You surely don’t want to keep buying new lawn mowers every year. This model makes sure to last for many years.
The mower is designed from durable materials, which are very simple to use and need very little maintenance. You just need to sharpen the blades every 3-5 years, and it will be as nice as fresh.
The adjustable height from 0.5 to 1.75 inches makes it suitable for many different Bermuda grass sizes. It also comes with 4 blades made from heat-treated alloy steel, which are sharp and durable for a long time.
- Easy to assemble, use, and maintain
- Sharp and durable blades
- Sturdy handle
- May not hold up for long, especially when your lawn gets overrun by weeds and tall grass
- Not suitable for mowing large yards or lawns
|Mower type||Reel lawn mower|
|Adjustable cutting height||Yes (from 0.5’’ to 1.75’’)|
4. Scotts Outdoor Power Tools Classic Reel Mower – Top reel mowers
The Scotts-branded mower has the best cut quality of any of the mowers we tested, and this is a non-motor model that helps to keep your grass safe. It can protect the grass from diseases and insect attacks by cutting it like a pair of scissors without shredding the leaves.
Right out of the box, this Scotts mower is simple to put together. It can be assembled without the use of any hardware. It has a long-lasting, environmentally-friendly design that offers excellent value for money.
The adjustable height makes it an easy and versatile device to use. You can adjust the cutting height at a range of 1-3 inches. This adjustment can be quickly made using a lever found at the rear wheels. Furthermore, it comes with 5 blades made from heat-treated steel. You can stay assured to get precise, quick, and clean cuts from these blades.
- Easy to set up and use
- No need for any oil or gas to start
- The ergonomic handle makes it comfortable to use
- Wide cutting edge and path
- Strong and durable blades
- Difficult to push it through overgrown grass
|Mower type||Push reel mower|
|Adjustable cutting height||Yes (from 1 to 3’’)|
5. The Great States 415-16 16-Inch 5-Blade Reel Mower
The Great States 415-16 is a compact and easy to assemble reel mower, which is ideal for those who have a limited storage space and need a durable tool. The mower features a 16-inch cutting reel and 5-blade cylinder, being appreciated by both lawn mowers and lawn care professionals.
The blades are probably the most important part of any reel lawn mower. The Great States 415-16 features 5 sharp blades that are able to cut easily through any type of grass, including the thicker varieties (i.e., St. Augustine & Bermuda). A feature we really love about the blades is that they are heat-treated. This treatment can keep the blades sharp for a longer time and also makes them rust-resistant, so they need little maintenance. Generally, you will need to sharpen the blades after years of use.
With this lawn mower, you can adjust the cutting height based on the type of your lawn, from 0.5 to 2.75 inches. The height can be easily adjusted by simply pulling the pins located on each side of the back rollers. You won’t need any tools to do this and the operation takes only a few minutes.
Besides, the mower features two 10-inch ball-bearing wheels equipped with radial tires that have excellent traction. This lets you maneuver easily around the fences, trees, driveways, and other types of obstacles.
It weighs only 25 pounds. The low weight together with the great wheels increases the overall maneuverability of this mower. Meanwhile, its T-style handling is designed for a better grip, and its powder coat finishing protects it from rust and other corrosive elements.
- Easy to assemble and maneuver
- Compact and durable
- Sharp blades
- Comfortable T-style handling
- No bagging options
- Unsuitable for rough terrains
- May not cut the tall grass well
|Mower type||Push reel mower|
|Adjustable cutting height||Yes (from 0.5’’ to 2.75’’)|
6. Greenworks 40V 16-Inch Cordless Lawn Mower
Greenworks 40V 16-inch cordless lawn mower is one of the best rotary mowers for Bermuda grass. It has 5 different cutting height adjustment positions in the range of 1-1/4 to 3-3/8 inches. All of this can be done with a single lever, so you can easily adjust the height according to your own preference.
This lawn mower is cordless, making it more convenient to use and carry around. You don’t need to buy the battery and charger separately as it comes with the lawn mower already.
Its 2-in-1 feature makes it a great choice for mowing Bermuda grass. For several uses, this feature allows for rear bagging and mulching. Furthermore, the 16-inch cutting deck makes it much easier to navigate around small to medium-sized yards. It also comes with 6-inch front wheels and 7-inch rear wheels, making it easy to move the mower.
- Easy to start
- Easy to move and store
- Doesn’t make unnecessary noises during mowing Bermuda grass
- Perfect for cutting in different environments
- Can run up to 45 minutes on a single charge
- Cleaning this mower takes a bit of time
|Mower type||Rotary lawn mower|
|Adjustable cutting height||Yes (from 1-¼’’ to 3-⅜’’)|
7. Remington RM130 Trail Blazer 140cc 21-Inch 3-in-1 Gas Push Lawn Mower
This model from Remington is a good choice if you are looking for a gas-powered mower. It packs a punch and comes with several features to help you get your lawn how you like it. In fact, this mower can check a whole lot of boxes you may have.
With the cutting deck of 21 inches, the mower enables you to mow large swaths of grass in fewer passes. Thanks to its advanced SureCut blade, which raises and circulates as it cuts, the mower can discharge clippings from the edge, bottom, or into the bag without clumps.
The handle is adjustable and comes with a cushion. It can absorb vibrations and provide you with maximum comfort while operating the mower. Furthermore, the mower has sturdy wheels, including 7-inch front wheels and 8-inch rear wheels, which allow for operation on uneven terrains.
This mower is gas-powered. That is neither a pro nor a con but is something to be aware of. The initial cost can be less, but the mower will cost you more over time than an electric mower would. Gas-powered lawn mowers are often a bit stronger than their electric counterparts, so you can be sure that this mower will annihilate some tall and thick grass.
- The cutting deck is resistant to dust
- Powerful engine
- Advanced SuperCut blade system
- Options to side-discharge, mulch, or bag your grass
- Not eco-friendly
- Cost over time may be higher than an electric or reel mower
|Mower type||Rotary lawn mower|
|Adjustable cutting height||Yes (from 1-¼’’ to 3-¾’’)|
FAQs on best lawn mower for Bermuda grass
1. What is the proper way to care for Bermuda grass lawns?
Before buying a lawn mower for bermuda grass, you should know how to take proper care your mower:
- Mowing: You need to mow bermuda grass frequently, as they grow in a faster time compared to other grass types. They tend to become messy when they grow up completely. So, it would help if you mowed them quite often. Recommendation: How to mow your lawn in the right way
- Watering: Even though bermuda grass tends to be very tough and can stay resistant to challenging weather conditions, they also need water to stay healthy. Like other types of lawn, bermuda grass needs some water, but not a lot. Recommendation: How to water your lawn
2. What is the best cutting height for bermuda grass?
Bermuda grass should be cut between 0.5 to 2.5 inches, although higher cutting heights could be needed for uneven and rugged lawns to avoid scalping.
3. Should I bag or mulch bermuda grass?
It isn’t advisable to bag grass clippings because they decompose quickly, and the nutrients get back to the soil. If you want to bag the clippings, you can consider compositing them to make manure and return it back to the soil to make a healthy lawn.
4. Why does my Bermuda grass turn brown after mowing?
Bermuda grass lawn can often get brown patches, and the primary reason for this problem is the over-usage of fertilizers. You can simply avoid using too many fertilizers, mow your lawn frequently, and keep regular maintenance.
That’s it for the 7 best lawn mowers for bermuda grass! Whether you want a reel push mower or a rotary mower, we’ve got you covered.
These lawn mowers have been at the top of the market for many years, and there are many reasons to justify this. We hope after reading this review, you can find the best one for yourself. Ask us anything about this topic if you want to. Thanks for reading!